Monday, June 3, 2013

June, already? June 3, 2013

Family and Friends!!! How is everyone? From what I hear, things are going great for everyone! Summer is always a lot of fun.

Summer in HK as a missionary is just a little different... Still fun, but I have never been this hot in my entire life. And according to our members, it is just going to get worse! It's a lot like a steam shower, only 24-7. Our AC broke for a day, so we had to sleep without it. Not much sleep that night... haha. But I'll quit complaining...

But it has been another great week in 沙田! The transfer is coming to a close this week. Elder Kho and I have had a great couple months. We have had 3 baptisms, which in Hong Kong is straight madness! We have really been working hard. But with all that success, there is a lot of rebuilding to do. Since we don't meet with Peter or Avis as consistently, we have had to do a lot more finding. Finding here is hard work, let me tell you. What is awesome though, especially for white people like me, is that the people here have no expectation of me being able to speak any Chinese! So while finding, I just try to spit out as much Cantonese as I know to get their attention. Surprisingly, it works really well. For only being in HK for 2 months, everyone here is taken back, which is a perfect time to explain why I am learning it. I have come a long way since April language wise. I was just noticing today how much I can pick up. Little stuff like understanding what someone on the bus is talking about makes me happy to realize I have progressed! My English is still good thankfully... haha, but I do notice as I write these emails that I have to consciously not use Chinese grammar... haha that's success. haha.

So besides all the finding that we have been doing, our investigator Harry has been doing great. What I love about Harry is that he always reads what we suggest. He even highlights his favorite parts! Isn't that cool? I think it is... haha. But Harry had the opportunity to come with us to a fireside in Kowloon Tong. It is where all the converts from the last few months come and share their conversion. Calla spoke and did a wonderful job! She is now in the ward's Primary presidency! But back to Harry... He just loved it. I had the opportunity to talk with him, and he talked about the feelings he had as everyone spoke. I tried to help him realize he is starting to recognize the Holy Ghost. He is on track to be baptized next month. We have total confidence in him staying on track. Harry is just a wonderful person, but different than the typical Hong Konger (is that what you call HK people?) He is really laid back and just does things he likes to do. He understands priorities and he never deviates from them. I have a ton of respect for him, especially in this aspect.

Avis and Peter where confirmed this week. It was a really cool experience for both of them. Elder Kho had the opportunity to confirm Peter. All around, it was another special day for them, that's for sure. I don't think I have ever been happier than when I see how much happier those two are now. It isn't just in the way they talk, but more in the way they look. It is hard to explain, but they are just totally new people. The gospel does that. It can make anyone happy knowing they now have a purpose. Missionary work is a happy work.

All is well in this part of the world! Twenty five(ish) new missionaries are flying into HK tomorrow. I am excited to meet them. All from good ole' Provo. The first weeks are extremely tough, so I am looking forward to being able to help empathize with them. It's hard, all around just different. But it's an adventure. Hopefully I can have a small impact on helping them adjust.

No food update, sorry! Only thing that is of note is we found the best Turkish Kabob place in the world. It is ridiculously delicious. Who would of thought? Come to HK, find great Turkish food. haha. They blast this weird hardcore Arabic rap music. A new genre to me... haha. Not in Kansas anymore, that's for sure.

I love you all. Your examples to me have been a great help. I couldn't do it without you. It's tough, but we all can do hard things! Until next week.

Love,

Elder Woodburn
胡 長 老

No comments:

Post a Comment