So this week in Butterfly was tough. I think I mentioned this last week, but things are just in a different stage than my old area. We don't have a ton of investigators and the ones that we do have always fong ge fei gei (means left on the airplane, not sure why we as missionaries say that when we get stood up... haha) So we spent a lot of our time trying to make new friends and teach them. We also spent a ton of time visiting less actives and their families. Our bishop put a lot of emphasis on getting these people back to church. This week was the first time in my mission that we have knocked doors! Sounds funny, but it's true. Trying to visit less actives is a work in and of itself. First we head to their apartment building and try and convince the security guard to let us up. That can be tough sometimes. The funny thing is in America, we picture security guards to be these big tough dudes, but that isn't the case here. Most of the security guards here are old ladies, but they are still just as intimidating! Have you ever had an old Chinese woman yell at you, and you not understand a word she is saying??? Yeah, it's a thrill, that's for sure. haha. But we usually convince them to let us see our friends and we can go up. Most less actives aren't stoked to see us, but they usually let us in and we chat. I am so lucky that my companion is a bundai (native).  He knows at least 3 or 4 Chinese dialects and he used them all this week! We think of America as the world's melting pot, but HK is like the melting pot of China. I didn't even know all these dialects existed! So I was lucky that my comp is so knowledgeable! When he goes off in some strange language, I usually just try and smile and pretend I understand... An occasional laugh when they laugh usually does the trick. I'm probably not fooling anyone though, lets be honest. haha. Language is still a struggle, but its coming. I tried talking with this lady on the train and she just gave me a dumbfounded look. I asked her if she spoke Cantonese. Still just dumbfounded! I was really confused, so I asked Elder Fong if my tones were right. He said he understood what I was saying, its just that people here have no expectation of white people speaking Chinese. Just still trying! Another funny story happened this week too. Turns out the Cantonese words for "hungry" and "diarrhea" are the same, just with different tones. Yup.... I made that mistake this week.... That's all I will really say about that one... haha. Life of a missionary learning Chinese I guess.

We had an awesome fathers day activity at the church on Saturday. It was so much fun. None of our investigators came, but we had plenty of less active members there, so that was great to see. There was food and games, then a talent show. The missionaries in our district sang a couple primary songs. It was tons of fun. The cutest kid went after us, maybe 4 or 5 years old. He was carrying a hymn book, which I thought was sort of strange. He then proceeded to play "Redeemer of Israel" on the piano without a single mistake! Is that not insane??? I was in awe, along with the rest of the ward and missionaries!

Another week full of finding. It was rough because I think it rained almost everyday this week. Rain here is crazy. I haven't seen roads and sidewalks turn into little rivers the way they do here. Makes it kind of hard to stop and talk with people when the only thing they want to do is get out of the rain. But we try our best. Some people take pity on us and will talk, but not a ton. haha.

That's about it for the week. I wish I had more to say or tell you about, but it has just been a lot of hard work. No results yet, but those will come. I know they will. I am so lucky to have the family and friends that I do. Thanks for all your support, day in and day out!

Love,
胡基謙長老
Elder Woodburn