Sunday, May 26, 2013

May 26, 2013

So everyone, another week in the books! It is crazy to me how the days fly by. It helps that we are busy. It takes it out of you, but that's why they call it work, right?

So this week was a shorter one since last week was a long one if we are talking about P-Days, but a lot has happened! I'll do my best to sum it all up. Easier said than done, trying to convey a weeks worth of missionary work in one email...

So this Friday we had the opportunity to hear from an Apostle of the Lord, Elder Neil A. Anderson! He was doing a tour of the missions in Asia and so he was able to stop by and speak to us. The meeting was on the island, which is a completley different world than good ole' 沙 田, that's for sure. So busy, so many high rise buildings, and most of all, sooooo many people. It blew my mind. The church has a 13 story church building there that serves as the Asia HQ for the church, so most of it is for that, but it has all the amenities of a regular church building too. All the missionaries in the mission were invited to the meeting. so we got a mission wide picture with Elder Anderson. He is actually really funny. He cracked tons of jokes. Sometimes we forget that they are just people too, minus the mantle of apostleship... haha. But really it was great as we got to shake his hand and have a quick exchange. Then he talked to us for about and hour. His advice for the China Hong Kong mission: Anchor your lives to Christ. I don't know about you, but it seemed like pretty good advice for everyone. He is a talented speaker, and the spirit he carries with him is undeniable. You can feel it as soon as he walked in to the room. As quickly as he came, he left. It was a quick meeting, but it was a good pump up for everyone. It seemed like everyone was ready just to go back to work, and so that's what we did. The meeting was great, a very special experience with an apostle of the Lord.

The next big thing this week was the baptism of Avis and Peter! It was one of the happiest times of my life. I had flashbacks to my first day in the area. We had the opportunity to teach those two and give them baptismal dates. It was a lot of work and prayer, but they made it! They are really special people and it has been so rewarding working with them. The ward has just adopted them right in. That is one thing about the wards I have seen here in HK, they really are just one big family. Avis and Peter are no exception, just two more to the family. Our stake president baptized them both. While they were changing, Elder Kho and I gave talks. I went first, thinking I wouldn't be able to go for long, but I gave a 10 minute talk all in Chinese!!! So cool. Everyone was just smiling, hopefully because they could understand me. Finally... haha. Avis and Peter bore their testimonies as well. They both did so well. They are solid. So awesome. Hard to describe just how great these two are. Again, one of the happiest days of my life, knowing I played a small part in helping these two experience the happiness the gospel gives.

Other than those two events, the week was pretty normal. Lots of time finding and teaching. Our area is really blessed right now. As for our other investigators... Harry is doing great! He came to the baptism and was able to really feel something. He even said himself he saw a change after the ordinance. He's golden! haha. As for Nick, he went back to mainland for a little vacation and won't be back until the first week of June. Hopefully he keeps his interest. Mainland has a tendency of killing peoples interest in the church. I'm sure he will stick with it though! Everyone is doing great! Calla is still going strong! She got a calling to be in the Primary Presidency yesterday! Striaght to the big leagues... haha. But really, callings are essential in making sure people stay active, and our Bishop is on top of it.

I'm sorry to report, or maybe not so sorry, that I didn't eat anything that weird this week. I was able to play it safe reasonably... haha The idea that authentic is better is false! The Wok in Fallon is not Chinese. If you have no clue what it is that you're eating, that's chinese food! haha. Like I said before, I am positive that I could eat anything. Even a bowl of mac and cheese. That's saying something since I hate cheese! But really, I think I am finally adjusting.

All is well in the land of ShaTin. Still humid and hot, the work is tough, I am still lost in a strange culture and language, but there is no where I would rather be. Thanks for all the support I get from you. It means more than you know!

Also a big congrats to my boy Skye for getting his call to Guatamala! Like his dad before him. The Barton legacy will live on! And Mitch is getting back this week?!?! Didn't he just leave? Time is weird.

Love you all,

Elder Woodurn
胡 長 老

No comments:

Post a Comment